Saturday, March 20, 2010

Character Flaws

Not proud of this one. Just keepin' it real.

I laugh at people's pain. That's not true. I laugh at the situations that cause people's pain. I like to think of it as "seeing the humor in every situation." My husband disagrees.

So today, pretending I worked at Supercuts, I was cutting Ty's hair. I'm no pro but I can get by. Don't know what happened exactly, but suddenly there was what I like to call a "haircut malfunction," a rather short spot on the side of his head. I've seen much worse, but this was definitely a "don't go in public without a hat" kind of mistake. I gasped and then started giggling. And then started laughing. Poor Ty had a very nervous look on his face. But I couldn't control the laughter. Doug walked in and bopped me on the head for making such a TERRIBLE (and I do mean terrible) mistake. (for the record, don't take "bopped" too seriously).

All morning I giggled about the mistake and I DON'T KNOW WHY!!!! Why must I laugh at things like that!!!! Or when Doug was violently ill and barely made it home before he was hurling in the bushes outside our house. He vomits so barbarically I was certain I saw the neighbors peeking through their curtains. Naturally, I started laughing. To the point of being unable to help him because I couldn't stand up.

And then there was the time I was in a dark theater with my sister, sister-in-law and my brother who had stepped out for a moment. When he returned, the three of us girls watched as he walked past us to the seats a few rows down, through the three "strangers" and sat down next to them before he realized they weren't us. (He claims its because he didn't have his glasses. Seriously?) We all started giggling. And giggling. And giggling. You know the serious part of Mrs. Doubtfire when Robbin Williams gets his kids taken away? Yeah, that's when it happened. We were laughing soooo hard, tears were streaming down our faces, the kind of stifled giggle that sounds like a cry - which was probably a good thing. I think we may have heard a "pipe down up there" from somewhere in the theater. I'm still laughing about it now.

I would tell more, but I've got to take Ty into town for some repair work.

10 comments:

Kristen said...

You made me laugh too! I did that same thing when I was cutting Jon's hair once, and I was laughing so hard tears where running down my cheeks! I have no idea where that comes from!

Good stories!

Dana said...

Oh my goodness.... You made me laugh so hard!!!

Julie said...

Doesn't surprise me at all... then again, I've known you a while :) and I can think of several times that laughter got us in trouble... and now I'm giggling :)
Julie

Unknown said...

We were at David's freshman orientation when I read this. -We were laughing so hard I had to leave the room.

-Ryan
p.s. my glasses were broken!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

That is without a doubt my most favorite memory! I am in hysterics now remembering it. Life would not be the same without your inapropriate moments of laughter Delena. That is why you are such a great nurse too. GOOD TIMES!

FilledToTheBrim - Kate said...

Oh my word, how did I miss this!? Too funny!

Miss said...

oh my gosh Delena...I am THE SAME WAY!!

I accidentally told Tate to shut up one time (seriously, I don't really condone the idea of telling my kids to shut up) but I said it in fun (accidentally) and he started crying and I was laughing so hard I couldn't stand up!

or the time Bill was cleaning up poop on our living room carpet and I couldn't get around him and the small made me throw up ALL OVER HIS BACK and then I proceeded to laugh hysterically!

I KNEW i loved you

Best Writing Clues said...

I too also laughing while reading your post. Some memories stays long time and we feel happy when we remember them. Both of you reaching the couple goals.

Sophie Grace said...

Great to read article about marital contract.You have written the article in detail which i like reading.I will come back to the website to read more articles. See more nice blogs as yours on instagram from site instastalker