Sunday, May 25, 2008
Doug and Ty made a make-shift chicken coop last week. Good father-son project. They did a great job, and I think Ty did most of the hammering. There were a few small oversights if I could be so critical.
1. Chicken wire is hard to cut in the right place. It's wire, you know, and no matter where you cut, there's a pointy end. Wire pokes holes in hands. Ask me how I know.
2. There's a door missing. This occurred to me two nights ago when I was going to change the water. I lifted up the coop to grab the water container and three chicks escaped. That wouldn't be such a big deal if - a)the bird dog wasn't standing right there and b)chickens didn't run sooooo fast. I spent a good half hour chasing the little suckers around the garage. I got two of them with the help of the dog's mouth (they survived). The third one spent the night in the garage, terrified, stuck behind the freezer. I finally decided I needed to go to bed and the little monster could just sit there all night for all I cared! The next morning I sat next to the coop until it got close enough and then I lifted up the coop ever so slowly, keeping a close eye on the others, and the escapee walked back in. Lesson learned.